In a classic Agatha Christie novel, The Secret of Chimneys, the hero uses the phrase “What do we know of England who only England know?”. This is a rare book of hers, a book that doesn’t feature her incomparable characters like Hercule Poirot, Mrs. Jane Marple. First published in 1925, it is a book that touches on what England was, the country whose concurrence was sought by almost all other countries. In that context, the hero touches on how the English people in England look at England and how little they know of England outside England, meaning the impact of England on the rest of the world.
Now look where England is today, a mere skeleton of what it used to be. Not only is it a weak, second class country but it is also one without any central soul or character. Politically, the English Prime Minister is publicly slapped around by the EU bureaucracy and the people of England supinely take it. England was always run by an elite ruling class and that class is now a pale shadow of itself. It is more than likely that England will never again be important, let alone great.
In every nation’s history, there comes a time when it chooses to become a part of a broader alliance & gives up its sovereignty to align with that broader purpose. The elites of that nation take the lead towards that end because the nobility of that idea appeals to them and also because their own relative power increases dramatically by the global membership. Sadly, that gloriously beautiful vision proves to be a mirage and that nation’s future is dimmed forever.
America was at such a crossroad couple of years ago. That America was led by an incredibly charismatic, exceptionally eloquent leader who was glorified by the majority of nations in the world. When he stood up to speak at the United Nations, the elites around the world listened in rapt attention. His message was what they had dreamed of hearing from America.
President Obama said in his inauguration in 2009 that “the world has expectations of my Presidency“. During his campaign, he had made no secret of his desire to change America to fit his vision of the world, to transform America from what he thought was a nativist mindset of a people clinging to their past.
Most people fail to realize how close he came to guiding America towards the path that England has taken. Fortunately, the American people knew different. In 2016, they elected a President who wanted to bring back America’s unique greatness, to celebrate the American spirit. But it was not enough just to elect a President. That President had to deliver success, success that all other nations would see & understand.
One year ago, this new All-American President discussed the threats & challenges he & the world faced in his UN speech. This past week, he shared his pride of the success his America has achieved in less than two years:
- “America’s economy is booming like never before. Since my election, we’ve added $10 trillion in wealth. The stock market is at an all-time high in history, and jobless claims are at a 50-year low. African American, Hispanic American, and Asian American unemployment have all achieved their lowest levels ever recorded. We’ve added more than 4 million new jobs, including half a million manufacturing jobs.”
- “We have passed the biggest tax cuts and reforms in American history. We’ve started the construction of a major border wall, and we have greatly strengthened border security. We have secured record funding for our military — $700 billion this year, and $716 billion next year. Our military will soon be more powerful than it has ever been before.”
- “In other words, the United States is stronger, safer, and a richer country than it was when I assumed office less than two years ago. We are standing up for America and for the American people.”
And then President Trump made America’s “Declaration of Independence from Globalism“, to use the phrase used by CNBC’s Eamon Javers.
- “America is governed by Americans. We reject the ideology of globalism, and we embrace the doctrine of patriotism. … As my administration has demonstrated, America will always act in our national interest.”
Then he enunciated the core principle that has governed America almost since its creation:
- “It has been the formal policy of our country since President Monroe that we reject the interference of foreign nations in this hemisphere and in our own affairs.”
He then sent a powerful message of independence to all countries:
- “Sovereign and independent nations are the only vehicle where freedom has ever survived, democracy has ever endured, or peace has ever prospered.”
Who is this directed towards? Neither China nor Russia. Certainly not Iran or North Korea. All these nations act in this manner already. A clue lies in the only specific exercise of sovereignty declared in his speech:
- “For similar reasons, the United States will provide no support in recognition to the International Criminal Court. As far as America is concerned, the ICC has no jurisdiction, no legitimacy, and no authority. The ICC claims near-universal jurisdiction over the citizens of every country, violating all principles of justice, fairness, and due process. We will never surrender America’s sovereignty to an unelected, unaccountable, global bureaucracy.”
As other members of the Trump cabinet have stated, America is ready to impose sanctions on this sham international court both as an institution and also on individual judges of this so-called court.
Where is this so-called International Court? In Europe. And which is today’s most powerful unelected, unaccountable, transnational bureaucracy that is imposing its diktat over elected leaders of individual nations? The European “Union”. It is this EU bureaucracy that has almost declared war this week on the elected government of Italy; it is this EU bureaucracy that has declared virtual war on countries of Eastern Europe like Hungary.
Today’s EU, led by its powerful leader Angela Merkel of Germany, is the champion of globalism & its attendant entity of an unelected, unaccountable transnational authority. The Trump Administration has already tried to help individual European countries to stand up to the EU. Now President Trump has elevated this to a moral & ethical issue for the entire world:
- “Each of us here today is the emissary of a distinct culture, a rich history, and a people bound together by ties of memory, tradition, and the values that make our homelands like nowhere else on Earth. That is why America will always choose independence and cooperation over global governance, control, and domination. I honor the right of every nation in this room to pursue its own customs, beliefs, and traditions. The United States will not tell you how to live or work or worship.”
As CNBC’s Eamon Javers said, President Trump has made a passionate, full-throated Declaration of Independence from globalism and invited all nations in the world to join America on the path of sovereign nations acting for their people & only for their people.
This is indeed a great moment, a moment that could be prove transformational for the world.
Send your feedback to [email protected] Or @MacroViewpoints on Twitter